Llanelli is a coastal town where the Welsh language is still widely spoken, and it has a long association with the tinplate, steel, and coal-mining industries.
The town has undergone a metamorphosis during the past thirty years which has witnessed the closure of virtually all the old heavy industries, the reclamation of derelict sites, and the creation of many environmental and tourist attractions.
This building was originally the Old Calvinistic Methodist Siloh chapel built in the late 1870's, which was forced to close its doors in the 1970's. The Chapel and adjoining Caretaker’s property were bought by the Town Council in April 1978. They underwent extensive repair and restoration to convert them into a Community Centre, with a main hall large enough for use as a badminton court. The restoration scheme was recognised by a Prince of Wales Committee Award for the restoration of historic buildings.
The Centre has undergone a further major refurbishment to repair the fabric of the building (including a new slate roof) and to improve the facilities available.
Like Glenalla community centre it's registered by CADW as a Grade 2 listed building.
Location: Lakefield Road, Llanelli SA15 2UE
There is a kitchen in the community centre. Heating is included in the hiring charge. IT equipment not provided.
On street parking.
Contact the Town Council for details
Take the A484 through Llanelli. At the Thomas Street Roundabout, take the Church Street (A4214) exit, leading south to Llanelli Railway Station. Go straight over at the Murray Street crossroads, continuing on Station Road (B4304). Lakefield Road is the second turning on the right.