Llansawel is a small rural village, pop about 200, in the middle of the triangle formed by the market towns of Llandeilo, Lampeter and Llandovery and is about ten miles from each of them. It lies in the beautiful Cothi Valley, surrounded by dairy, sheep and beef farms. The church dates from the thirteenth century and several buildings from the seventeenth. The school celebrates its 135th birthday in June 2011.
Its five roads made it an important livestock market in historical times and it retains two pubs of the five that once catered for sheep and cattle drovers. The Black Lion and The Angel both provide food.
The community includes retired farmers and people from many parts of the world who have chosen to retire here, There are also several young families.
A field of 1.3 acres in the centre of the village - formerly the livestock market - was purchased in 1952 by a group of community-minded residents. After several years of fund-raising, the hall was built in 1957. It is a private trust and a registered charity (no 524019) and is maintained through hire, voluntary labour from the community and grants.
Hire charge: Hall; £13 per 2 hour session.; Ante Room (for small meetings) £5 per 2 hour session.
The hall may also be hired on special terms for private functions such as licensed parties.
Capacity: 240 standing, 180 seated
Bill Davis - 01558 685696
Llansawel Recreation Field and Hall Trust
Large curtained stage, changing room behind. Modern kitchen, heated gents and ladies toilets, decent decorative condition. Piano, ping pong tables, pool table, short mat bowls. Twenty 6’x2’ tables, 180 chairs. Radiators, radiant electrical heaters. Microphone and portable amp
The hall stands in the village centre, by the Marlais Bridge, near The Black Lion Hotel. The village can be reached by any of five roads.