skip to main content

Pontyates Miners Welfare Hall, Pontyates

Pontyates Miners Welfare Hall, Pontyates

Pontyates is a former mining village within the Carmarthenshire anthracite coalfield. From the 18th century until the mid-20th century mining played an important part in the development of the area. The historic house of Glyn Abbey has its origins in the 15th century. This was home to three Lord Lieutenants of Carmarthenshire and later to a group of Benedictine Monks 1903-1905.

The Gwendraeth valley was a hotbed of the Rebecca Riots in the early 1840s. A gate near the river bridge in Pontyates was one of those torn down. The local railway closed to passengers in 1953 and to coal traffic in 1996. The track bed is now a popular trail for walkers, including the Pontyates Mining Heritage Walk.

The village is divided between the Wards of Llangyndeyrn Community Council and Llanelli Rural Council. It comes under the control of Carmarthenshire County Council.

Other services in village –Surgery, Chemist, two Schools, Rugby Club, Post Office, Petrol Station/Supermarket, Fish and Chip Shop, Chinese Restaurant/Takeaway, and two Public Houses.




The Hall

Pontyates Miners’ Welfare Hall was built in 1938 using funds from the Miners’ Levy. It is managed by a voluntary Committee (Pontyates Welfare Association - Registered Charity No 228339). Income is achieved through hiring out of facilities and fundraising. Grants have been received for capital and revenue projects.

The Hall offers a venue for conferences, concerts, weddings, parties. With several smaller rooms it is perfect for local meetings. It is used by more than 20 local organisations on a regular basis.

More information (including hiring charges) is on our website www.pontyates.org.uk

The hall is busy with regular events. For full details visit our website events page http://pontyates.org.uk/whats-on/

Contact - The Secretary, Welfare Hall, Heol y Meinciau, Pontyates, Llanelli, SA15 5TR 01269 860966 or send an e-mail via ‘contact’ on our website www.pontyates.org.uk


Features

  • Main Hall (with stage) Capacity 120 people (30 on balcony).
  • Professional light and sound systems, comfortable cushioned chairs,  projector and screen. 
  • Fully equipped Kitchen - electric cooker, dishwasher, fridge, two sinks and work surfaces.  
  • Cups, saucers, plates, glasses for various functions (100 people). 
  • Kitchen can also be used for meetings -  conference table (seating 12), notice board.
  • Additional Room suitable for meetings, workshops, playgroups – seating for 20 people.
  • Library withICT computer suite - 8 terminals with internet access, photocopying facilities, reference books.
  • Disabled access and toilets.
  • Parking for 40 cars in public car park opposite.
  • Catering facilities on request. 
  • Adjacent café.

Contact

Maria Sanderson   Tel:01269 860966



Gallery


Location



Directions

Pontyates village is situated halfway (8 miles) between Carmarthen and Llanelli on a direct route B4309.

The Hall is situated in the middle of the village opposite the large car park (40 parking places) close to the Texaco petrol station. A war memorial stands in front of the Hall.


Facilities

  • ParkingParking
  • 8 Disabled Spaces8 Disabled Spaces
  • 1 Step1 Step
  • Wheelchair Access to frontWheelchair Access to front
  • Wheelchair Access to front (by prior arr.)Wheelchair Access to front (by prior arr.)
  • WCWC
  • Accessible WCAccessible WC
  • Level EntranceLevel Entrance
  • Induction LoopInduction Loop