by William Camden as "the chief citie of the country". However, population growth stagnated by the mid 19th century as more dynamic economic centres developed in the South Wales coalfield.Currently, Carmarthen is the location of the headquarters of Dyfed-Powys Police, the Carmarthen campus of the University of Wales, Trinity Carmarthen lays claim to being the oldest town in Wales but the two settlements of Old and New Carmarthen were only united into a single borough in 1546. Carmarthen was the most populous borough in Wales between the 16th and 18th centuries and was described Saint David and the West Wales General Hospital.
In February 2004 The old Mount Building is purchased by Carmarthenshire County Council with the intention of transforming it into a centre of excellence for the voluntary sector. In July 2004 a Steering group is formed to drive the project forward, comprised of council staff and voluntary sector representatives. In January 2005 a Feasibility study is completed on the proposed centre, funded by WDA’s Community Regeneration Toolkit. In October 2005 a petition of the voluntary sector returns 800 signatures with overwhelming support for development of the centre. In January 2006 CAVS secures £500,000 grants from the Big Lottery Fund and CFAP. 2006-7 Plans are drawn up, additional funds are secured by Carmarthenshire County Council from European funding programme. Consultation is carried out with the voluntary sector and disability access groups. December 2007 Construction work starts at the site. In March 2009 The New Mount Centre was completed.
Hire Charges: £12.00 for maximum of 2 hours £8.00 for CAVS member
Half Day 9am-1pm or 1.30pm-5pm £45.00 CAVS member £28.00
Full Day 9am-5pm £80.00 CAVS Member £50.00
Company Limited by Guarantee No. 3348742.
For more information contact CAVS on
01267 245 555, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Mount Centre Capacity
A detailed map of directions and parking if found on the CAVS website – www.cavs.org.uk